Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pieces of my Pre-Departure Path

Hello everyone! In two days I will be leaving for Scotland to begin my study abroad semester, with a  trip to Ireland as the amuse bouche. I am thrilled to be embarking on this journey, and I want to be able to share my experiences with my family, friends, and any future students who are interested in studying abroad. I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity and I'd like to dedicate this blog to everyone who has had an influence in my life (here's looking at you, Mom, Dad, sis, family, friends, and professors!).

After tackling three classes, an internship, volunteer work, and catering work over two summer semesters, the start of August was a welcome break.  I knew the month would fly by. I spent the first week in NJ visiting some of my most favorite people in the world. The next three weeks were dedicated to trip planning and preparation, applying for a second study abroad semester, work, packing, lots of tying up loose ends, and catching up with friends. It was a well-deserved break, but here I am, two days out, still getting ready to go! My bags are mostly packed and I have a rough to-do list for tomorrow (open a Skype account, figure out how to Skype, sync songs onto iPod, online check-in, print boarding passes, double check packing, measure and weigh backpack and suitcases, laundry, clean...), followed by a bon-voyage dinner with my family.


They say pack light! I just need to add another bag of clothes to the one suitcase and a few small items to the other. I didn't even use the largest suitcase that we have. My backpack, on the other hand, is stuffed to capacity!

I am both nervous and excited about my journey; I have no idea what to expect. I just hope that it is as wonderful of an experience as everyone has said it will be. I think the best advice that has been given to me so far is "Remember to relax and enjoy your trip... Let your hair down." For those of you who know me well, I think you would agree that this is good advice!

I am off to hopefully get a good night's sleep. Too-da-loo for now!




2 comments:

  1. Now you know your Mother had tears in her eyes reading this.
    This will be a journey of a lifetime for you. It's so exciting for you and all of us who will follow your blog.

    Love from your Mom who will miss you but is so glad you are able to go on this wonderful learning adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl...you have a great time and don't worry about your moms tears she always has my shoulder to cry on...send many many pics so I can show everyone as my own...lol...love you doll baby!!!

    ReplyDelete